During 1st quarter FY20, USCENTCOM reported approximately 50,464 contractor personnel supporting DoD in the USCENTCOM AOR, an increase of approximately 812 from the previous quarter.
This report provides Department of Defense (DoD) contractor personnel numbers for 1st quarter Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) and current status of efforts underway to improve management of contractors accompanying United States (U.S.) Forces. It includes data on DoD contractor personnel deployed in Afghanistan, Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS); Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR); and the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR).
Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq & Syria) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 6,586 DoD contractors directly supported DoD-funded contracts in Iraq and Syria. This is a decrease of 8% from 4th quarter FY19.
The distribution of contractors in Iraq and Syria by mission category are:
- Base Support 1,567 (23.8%)
- Construction 731 (11.1%)
- IT/Communications Support 329 (5.0%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 2,470 (37.5%)
- Management/Administrative 375 (5.7%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 20 (0.3%)
- Other 40 (0.6%)
- Security 244 (3.7%)
- Training 13 (0.2%)
- Translator/Interpreter 303 (4.6%)
- Transportation 494 (7.5%)
Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 26,545 DoD contractors supported operations in Afghanistan during 1st quarter FY20, an increase of 9.7% from 4th quarter FY19. Local Nationals comprise 21.5% of total contractor force; 20,836 US/TCN remain in Afghanistan.
The increase is due, in part, to an issue identified in the 4th quarter FY19 when the delayed exercising of a contract option in 4th quarter FY19 led to expiration of contractor letters of authorization and removal of contractors from Synchronized Pre-Deployment Operational Tracker Enterprise Suite (SPOT-ES) database. As a result, these contractors were not included in the 4th quarter FY19 report. The 1st quarter FY20 figures include these contractors that have since been updated in SPOT.
The distribution of contractors in Afghanistan by mission category are:
- Base Support 3,581 (13.5%)
- Construction 1,630 (6.1%)
- IT/Communications Support 889 (3.4%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 8,970 (33.8%)
- Management/Administrative 1,545 (5.8%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 85 (0.3%)
- Other 367 (1.4%)
- Security 4,924* (18.5%)
- Training 1,254 (4.7%)
- Translator/Interpreter 1,724 (6.5%)
- Transportation 1,576 (6.0%)
*3,017 Armed Private Security Contractor Personnel
DoD Private Security Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan
3,017 Private Security Contractors (PSCs) personnel were supporting USCENTCOM operations in Afghanistan as of 1st quarter FY20.
- Total Contractors – 3,017
- U.S. Citizens – 728
- Third Country Nationals – 2,059
- Local/Host Country Nationals – 230
*These numbers include most subcontractors and service contractors hired by prime contractors under DoD contracts.