During 1st quarter FY21, USCENTCOM reported approximately 38,164 contractor personnel supporting DoD in the USCENTCOM AOR, a decrease of approximately 5,645 from the previous quarter.
This report provides Department of Defense (DoD) contractor personnel numbers for 1st quarter Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) and current status of efforts underway to improve management of contractors accompanying United States (U.S.) Forces. It includes data on DoD contractor personnel deployed in Afghanistan, Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS); Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR); and the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR).
Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq & Syria) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 4,677 DoD contractors directly supported DoD-funded contracts in Iraq and Syria. This is a decrease of 3.1% from 4th quarter FY20.
The distribution of contractors in Iraq and Syria by mission category are:
- Base Support 912 (19.5%)
- Construction 444 (9.5%)
- IT/Communications Support 225 (4.8%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 1,875 (40.1%)
- Management/Administrative 243 (5.2%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 9 (0.2%)
- Other 33 (0.7%)
- Security 80 (1.7%)
- Training 9 (0.2%)
- Translator/Interpreter 407 (8.7%)
- Transportation 440 (9.4%)
Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 18,214 DoD contractors supported operations in Afghanistan during 1st quarter FY21, a decrease of 19.3% from 4th quarter FY20. Local Nationals comprise 26.1% of total contractor force; 13,469 US/TCN remain in Afghanistan. Decreases in military personnel drove reductions in requirements for contracted support and contractor populations in 1st quarter FY21.
The distribution of contractors in Afghanistan by mission category are:
- Base Support 2,286 (12.5%)
- Construction 1,304 (7.2%)
- IT/Communications Support 606 (3.3%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 6,260 (34.4%)
- Management/Administrative 1,211 (6.6%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 71 (0.4%)
- Other 211 (1.2%)
- Security *2,920 (16.0%)
- Training 1,052 (5.8%)
- Translator/Interpreter 899 (4.9%)
- Transportation 1,394 (7.7%)
DoD Private Security Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan
A total of 1,575 Private Security Contractors (PSCs) personnel were supporting USCENTCOM operations in Afghanistan as of 1st quarter FY21.
- U.S. Citizens – 643
- Third Country Nationals – 827
- Local/Host Country Nationals – 105
*These numbers include most subcontractors and service contractors hired by prime contractors under DoD contracts.