During 2nd quarter FY21, USCENTCOM reported approximately 37,597 contractor personnel supporting DoD in the USCENTCOM AOR, a decrease of approximately 567 from the previous quarter.
This report provides Department of Defense (DoD) contractor personnel numbers for 2nd quarter Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) and current status of efforts underway to improve management of contractors accompanying United States (U.S.) Forces. It includes data on DoD contractor personnel deployed in Afghanistan, Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS); Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR); and the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR).
Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq & Syria) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 4,689 DoD contractors directly supported DoD-funded contracts in Iraq and Syria. This is an increase of 0.26% from 1st quarter FY21.
The distribution of contractors in Iraq and Syria by mission category are:
- Base Support 1,032 (22.0%)
- Construction 394 (8.4%)
- IT/Communications Support 183 (3.9%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 1,688 (36.0%)
- Management/Administrative 263 (5.6%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 12 (0.3%)
- Other 80 (1.7%)
- Security 66 (1.4%)
- Training 15 (0.3%)
- Translator/Interpreter 417 (8.9%)
- Transportation 539 (11.5%)
Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 16,832 DoD contractors supported operations in Afghanistan during 2nd quarter FY21, a decrease of 7.6% from 1st quarter FY21. Local Nationals comprise 25.5% of total contractor force; 12,546 US/TCN remain in Afghanistan. Decreases in military personnel drove reductions in requirements for contracted support and contractor populations in 2nd quarter FY21.
The distribution of contractors in Afghanistan by mission category are:
- Base Support 2,006 (12.5%)
- Construction 1,213 (7.2%)
- IT/Communications Support 494 (3.3%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 5,559 (34.4%)
- Management/Administrative 1,132 (6.6%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 40 (0.4%)
- Other 207 (1.2%)
- Security *2,856 (16.0%)
- Training 1,133 (5.8%)
- Translator/Interpreter 791 (4.9%)
- Transportation 1,401 (7.7%)
*1,520 Armed Private Security Contractor personnel
DoD Private Security Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan
A total of 1,520 Private Security Contractors (PSCs) personnel were supporting USCENTCOM operations in Afghanistan as of 2nd quarter FY21.
- U.S. Citizens – 605
- Third Country Nationals – 672
- Local/Host Country Nationals – 243