During 3rd quarter FY20, USCENTCOM reported approximately 48,937 contractor personnel supporting DoD in the USCENTCOM AOR, a decrease of approximately 3,205 from the previous quarter.
This report provides Department of Defense (DoD) contractor personnel numbers for 3rd quarter Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) and current status of efforts underway to improve management of contractors accompanying United States (U.S.) Forces. It includes data on DoD contractor personnel deployed in Afghanistan, Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS); Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR); and the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR).
Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq & Syria) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 6,551 DoD contractors directly supported DoD-funded contracts in Iraq and Syria. This is an increase of 4.2% from 2nd quarter FY20.
The distribution of contractors in Iraq and Syria by mission category are:
- Base Support 1,356 (20.7%)
- Construction 557 (8.5%)
- IT/Communications Support 301 (4.6%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 2,031 (31.0%)
- Management/Administrative 393 (6.0%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 20 (0.3%)
- Other 46 (0.7%)
- Security 681 (10.4%)
- Training 13 (0.2%)
- Translator/Interpreter 747 (11.4%)
- Transportation 406 (6.2%)
Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 25,650 DoD contractors supported operations in Afghanistan during 3rd quarter FY20, a decrease of 7.2% from 2nd quarter FY20. Local Nationals comprise 22.3% of total contractor force; 19,939 US/TCN remain in Afghanistan. This decrease is attributed to continued troop reductions, base closures, and the evacuation of “at-risk” COVID-19 contractor personnel.
The distribution of contractors in Afghanistan by mission category are:
- Base Support 3,739 (14.6%)
- Construction 1,766 (6.9%)
- IT/Communications Support 835 (3.3%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 8,839 (34.5%)
- Management/Administrative 1,544 (6.0%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 78 (0.3%)
- Other 287 (1.1%)
- Security 4,422 (17.2%)
- Training 1,112 (4.3%)
- Translator/Interpreter 1,513 (5.9%)
- Transportation 1,515 (5.9%)
DoD Private Security Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan
- A total of 2,437 Private Security Contractors (PSCs) personnel were supporting USCENTCOM operations in Afghanistan as of 3rd quarter FY20.
- U.S. Citizens – 649
- Third Country Nationals – 1,553
- Local/Host Country Nationals – 235
*These numbers include most subcontractors and service contractors hired by prime contractors under DoD contracts.