During 4th quarter FY19, USCENTCOM reported approximately 49,652 contractor personnel supporting DoD in the USCENTCOM AOR, a decrease of approximately 3,707 from the previous quarter.
This report provides Department of Defense (DoD) contractor personnel numbers for 4th quarter Fiscal Year 2019 (FY19) and current status of efforts underway to improve management of contractors accompanying United States (U.S.) Forces. It includes data on DoD contractor personnel deployed in Afghanistan, Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (OFS); Iraq and Syria, Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR); and the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR).
Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq & Syria) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 7,155 DoD contractors directly supported DoD-funded contracts in Iraq and Syria. This is a decrease of approximately 4.3% from 3rd quarter.
The distribution of contractors in Iraq and Syria by mission category are:
- Base Support 1,410 (19.7%)
- Construction 644 (9.0%)
- IT/Communications Support 301 (4.2%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 2,311 (32.3%)
- Management/Administrative 365 (5.1%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 21 (0.3%)
- Other 29 (0.4%)
- Security 615 (8.6%)
- Training 7 (0.1%)
- Translator/Interpreter 966 (13.5%)
- Transportation 486 (6.8%)
Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan) Summary
Contractor Posture: Approximately 24,202 DoD contractors supported operations in Afghanistan during 4th quarter FY19, a decrease of 11.9% from 3nd quarter FY19. Local Nationals comprise 11.8% of total contractor force; 21,353 US/TCN remain in Afghanistan. The decrease is due, in part, to the delayed exercising of a particular contract option.
The distribution of contractors in Afghanistan by mission category are:
- Base Support 3,146 (13%)
- Construction 1,608 (6.6%)
- IT/Communications Support 874 (3.6%)
- Logistics/Maintenance 7,334 (30.3%)
- Management/Administrative 1,415 (5.8%)
- Medical/Dental/Social Services 83 (0.3%)
- Other 470 (1.9%)
- Security 4,951* (20.5%)
- Training 932 (3.9%)
- Translator/Interpreter 1,804 (7.5%)
- Transportation 1,585 (6.6%)
*2,884 Armed Private Security Contractor Personnel
DoD Private Security Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan
A total of 2,884 Private Security Contractors (PSCs) personnel were supporting USCENTCOM operations in Afghanistan as of 4th quarter FY19. A detailed summary is provided in the table below.
- Total Contractors – 2,884
- U.S. Citizens – 688
- Third Country Nationals – 1,996
- Local/Host Country Nationals – 200
*These numbers include most subcontractors and service contractors hired by prime contractors under DoD contracts.